Chewits advert from 1986

The sweets were originally manufactured in Southport during the early 1960s. They began to sell throughout the rest of the UK during the year 1965, before gaining international popularity. After the closing of the factory in 2006 manufacture was moved to Slovakia. Chewits has greatly expanded its line of flavors, however the original flavours consisted of Strawberry, Blackcurrant, Orange and Banana. Over the years more exotic flavours such as Ice Cream, Cola, Rhubarb & Custard, and Blue Mint were introduced as limited edition flavours. In 2000 sour flavours, Apple and Tutti Frutti were launched, other fizzy and hot flavours were available for a limited time. New Chewits pack designs, formats and flavours were launched in 2009. Currently Chewits core flavour range includes Strawberry, Blackcurrant, Fruit Salad, Ice Cream, Cola and Orange.

Ice Cream Chewits, originally released in 1989, were re-introduced in 2009 following an online petition and demand expressed on Facebook and Bebo.

Info gleaned from Wikipedia

1980s Pacers

pacers mintsPacers is a British discontinued brand of popular mint flavoured confection, manufactured by Mars.

Originally known as Opal Mints, they were plain white coloured chewy spearmint flavoured sweets, launched as a sister product to Opal Fruits (now known as Starburst). The product was subsequently relaunched as Pacers around 1976, and later, three green peppermint stripes were added to the sweet,  possibly to align it with a similar American product of the same name.  Television commercials for the sweet alluded to sport and fitness, with participants wearing green and white-striped kit, featuring the slogan “Peppermint striped for two-mint freshness”.  The brand was discontinued in the 1980s.

At one point the Glasgow Celtic football team were nicknamed “The Pacers” because of the similarity of their kit to the sweets

Info gleaned from Wikipedia

1983 Terrys Chocolates feat Mel Smith

terrysIn 1767 as Robert Berry opened a shop close to Bootham Bar, York, selling cough lozenges, lemon and orange candied peel and other sweets. Joined by William Bayldon, the partners renamed the business Bayldon and Berry confectionery.

Born in Pocklington, Joseph Terry came to York to serve as an apprentice apothecary in Stonegate. On gaining his certificates, he set up as a chemist in Walmgate. But after marrying Harriet Atkinson in 1823, he met her elderly uncle Robert Berry. After William Bayldon left the business, Terry agreed to become a partner in the confectionery business, and after closing his chemists shop joined the confectionery business in St Helen’s Square, York.

Info gleaned from Wikipedia

1988 Polo Mints

Polos are a brand of sweets whose defining feature is the hole in the middle. The peppermint flavoured polo was first manufactured in the United Kingdom in 1948 by employee John Bargewell at the Rowntree’s Factory, York, a range of flavours followed. The name ‘Polo’ is reportedly from the word ‘Polar’ and is to symbolize the cool and fresh feeling one gets from sucking a Polo.

Info gleaned from Wikipedia