Smith’s Potato Crisps Ltd. was formed by Francis Leigh Smith in the UK after World War 1. The firm started in Cricklewood, London, reputedly in Smith’s garage. In 1927 the company expanded into a factory in Brentford, London. This was enlarged in 1930. During the depression Smith travelled to Australia to expand the business. Smiths was later owned by Nabisco, BSN and finally sold to PepsiCo in the 1990s. Subsequently Pepsico withdrew the brand, in favour of Walkers, which had been heavily marketed in a campaign using footballer Gary Lineker. Smiths is now largely controlled by Walkers Crisps in the UK. Many of the products previously owned by Smiths are now labelled as Walkers, although there are still several Smiths branded crisps.
Info gleaned from Wikipedia
Walkers crisps advert from 1996
In the 1880s Henry Walker moved from Mansfield to Leicester to take over an established butcher’s shop in the high street. Meat rationing after World War II saw the factory output drop dramatically and the company looked at alternatives to make use of the wasted capacity. With potato crisps being increasingly popular with the public, managing director R.E. Gerrard helped the company shift focus and began hand-slicing and frying potatoes.