Martini is a brand of Italian vermouth, named after the Martini & Rossi Distilleria Nazionale di Spirito di Vino, in Turin.
From within the Distilleria emerged Alessandro Martini, Luigi Rossi and Teofilo Sola. They changed the company name to Martini, Sola & Cia in 1863 and it was in 1879 that the Sola family sold its interests to the remaining partners who renamed the company Martini & Rossi, as it stands today.
- 1892 – The business is taken over by Rossi’s four sons.
- 1929 – The Martini Ball & Bar logo is registered for the first time.
- 1930 – Rossi’s grandsons take over control of the company.
- 1977 – The company is restructured with the creation of the General Beverage Corporation.
- 1992 – Martini & Rossi merges with Bacardi.
- 2006 – “Martini is the world’s fourth most powerful “spirit” brand”.
Info gleaned from Wikipedia