Milk Tray is brand of boxed chocolates currently manufactured by Cadbury. Introduced by Cadbury UK in 1915, it is one of the longest running brands in the confectioner’s portfolio. Milk Tray is sold in Australia, parts of Canada (such as Newfoundland), Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
The name ‘Tray’ derived from the way in which the original assortment was delivered to the shops. Originally Milk Tray was packed in five and a half pound boxes, arranged on trays from which it was sold loose to customers.
In 1916 a half pound deep-lidded box was introduced with a purple background and gold script, which has undergone minor changes in the ninety years since it was introduced. In 1924 a one-pound box was introduced, and by the mid 1930s the Cadbury’s Milk Tray assortment was outselling all its competitors.
The pack design has been regularly updated and the assortment itself has changed in line with consumer preferences, and today it is still one of the most popular boxes of chocolates in the UK selling over 8 million boxes per annum.
The traditionally named Turkish Delight has now been renamed “Eastern Delight”.
Production of Milk Tray is made under licence to Cadbury UK in the European Union.
On January 10, 1899, American Electrical Novelty and Manufacturing Company obtained U.S. Patent No. 617,592 (filed 12 March 1898) from David Misell, an inventor. This “electric device” designed by Misell was powered by “D” batteries laid front-to-back in a paper tube with the light bulb and a rough brass reflector at the end. Misell, the inventor of the tubular hand-held “electric device” (flashlight), assigned his invention over to the American Electrical Novelty and Manufacturing Company owned by Conrad Hubert.
In 1905, Hubert changed the name again to The American Ever Ready Company, selling flashlights and batteries under the trademark Ever Ready. In 1906 the British Ever Ready Electrical Company was formed for export of batteries; it became independent in 1914. In 1914, The American Ever Ready Company became part of National Carbon Company. Hubert stayed on as the president. The trademark was shortened to Eveready. In 1917, National Carbon Company merged with Union Carbide to form The Union Carbide and Carbon Company. From 1917 until 1921, Eveready used the trademark “DAYLO” for their flashlights and on their batteries.
Info gleaned from Wikipedia