In 1923, Frank and Noel Terry joined the family business, Terry’s of York. They revamped the company, and after opening the Art Deco-style factory The Chocolate Works in 1926, began launching new products. The first was the Chocolate Apple (1926), then the Chocolate Orange (1931), and finally Terry’s All Gold (1936).
At the onset of World War II, confectionary production was immediately halted. The factory was taken over by F Hill’s and Son’s of Manchester as a shadow factory, to manufacture and repair aircraft propeller blades.
Info gleaned from Wikipedia